Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, September 12, 2011

Party Prep...

I can't believe how fast this year has gone...Lucas is now a one year old and the baby days are behind us and the toddler years in full swing! As you can imagine I had to throw a party for my little man and so it has been a busy 1-2 weeks of preparation (type A preparation means I am one exhausted mommy)! I will post more later about my one-year-old...for now about the party :) The picture above was used for his invitations...below are some pictures of the other prep we did...


I really wanted a professional photo shoot of the cake smash session - it is a new trend and every picture I have seen is super adorable. Unfortunately, I am new to the area and do not have an established relationship with a photographer or any moms that could recommend one for that matter. I did get one recommendation for a local photographer who turned out to have a beutiful protfolio but I was too late to book her before the party. So, Ross and I tried to create our own cake smash session. Ha! It was fun and pretty much unsuccessful in the photo department but hey - he knew what to do with cake at his party!


First the icing threw him off...he kept shaking his hand and flinging icing all over the room


Ross tried cutting a piece so he could get past the icing


Lucas then tried to move the cake stand with his foot


I tried showing him how yummy it was...no luck!

The theme for the party was Firetrucks and the crowning glory was this awesome firetruck made out of a moving box. Ross is such an amazing Daddy - I asked if he thought it could be done for the party and he went above and beyond by putting in lots of hours. Lucas loved it!


Side of truck - notice the sweet ladder and wheels


Lucas inside the firetruck smiling at everyone around him!


He was bouncing and squealing with joy!


Of course it isn't a party without a party hat! I found this great blog with a template and tutorial for how to make a party hat out of fabric. (http://imakestuff.typepad.com/i-make-stuff/2009/11/birthday-hat-tutorial.html ). First I brainstormed with my mother in law about whether or not we could pull it off. Then I went to my local craft store and got the supplies. I think the finished hat turned out great!


Lucas's first birthday hat


Checking it out


Look at my hat!


And of course, what is a party without decorations?!?!?! I wanted the feeling of the decorations and the party to be more crafty and home made than from the store so I tried to designate certain things to be purchased and other to be made. I bought plates, cups, napkins, plastic silverware, #1 candle, and a table cloth. Then my friend Tricia made the birthday banner and we made tissue balls as a substitute for balloons - which was perfect because I am secretly afraid of popping balloons and do not like to have them around a crowd of people. You just never know when one will accidentally pop and with the way my bladder is these days...it might not have been pretty. (http://diy.wed-central.com/?p=62)


Firetruck themed birthday banner... AWESOME!!!


Pom Poms!


Finally, I channeled my inner Martha and made a firetruck cake and dalmation cake with the help of my mom and my bestie Tricia :)


You can find directions for the firetruck cake on youtube


(http://bit.ly/betty_crocker_firetruck)



The dalmation inspiration came from a book my Grandmother had given my mother when she had my older sister. It is the Baker's Coconut Animal Cut-Up Cakes (copyright 1959)

3 comments:

  1. I had so much fun this weekend with you, Ross, and Lucas. You did an amazing job on the party. Babbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes great party! The decorations were terrific and creative. I'm sure Lucas will look back on the hundreds of pictures taken and agree! :)
    See you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the decorations and the cakes! So awesome that you were able to make so many of these things yourself! I can't believe Lucas is 1 - time flies!! Happy Birthday to your little toddler!

    ReplyDelete