Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Product Review: Diapers


My mom used to tell me this story about my older sister and me... she was carrying us into the grocery store when we both had an accident - on her (one pee and one poo). So, she turned around and went home, thankful that it happened in the parking lot and not the produce section. I'm not going to lie...this story scared me from the thought of having kids for a very long time (I really don't like to be dirty).


As of today, it is official, Luke pooped on me. I had just changed his diaper 10 minutes prior to the incident so it caught me by complete surprise. I didn't even realize it had happened to the extent it did until I put him on the changing pad...now I had Luke with saturated pj's, me with poo down my arm, a dirty swaddling blanket, and a dirty changing pad cover. There was no ideal answer to how to clean this up. If I somehow managed to clean him up and put a new diaper on - it would get dirty from the changing pad cover. If I put him down in his crib to change the cover, then the sheets would get dirty. If I somehow changed him without getting him dirty again and then picked him up - my arm would get him dirty!!! Ahhhh!!! The only answer was bathtime...clean him as best as I could, run with naked baby to the bathtub and hope he doesn't pee on me too, clean him and my arm, dress him in crib, change changing pad cover, take a shower. ahhhh mommy and baby are clean again :)


This leads me to my first product review: diapers. Before Luke arrived, I had debated extensively the merits of paper vs. cloth and every option in between. I really liked the idea of gDiapers which are a hybrid option with a flushable insert that a friend of mine loves. Unfortunately this wasn't an option for economic reasons. So, we have tried quite a few others... keep in mind these reviews are based on my baby and his anatomy (flat butt, skinny legs).



  • Earth's Best - may be best for the earth but they are not absorbant enough to prevent leakage. Keep in mind this leakage came through the diaper not out of the diaper.

  • Huggies- Do not stay on a flat butt baby (FBB). Each time I went to change him the diaper had slid to his knees and there was a mess.

  • Huggies Pure and Natural - same as above but with the cutest design.

  • Pampers - Pretty decent in absorbancy and fit (when he isn't between sizes). The only problem is the height of the diaper. Luke is very long and skinny. When he has to move up a size, the new diaper is way too long and has to be pulled really tight to prevent leaks.

  • Papers swaddlers - Great for absorbancy and fit. I would venture to say these diapers are almost too good. Many times he has gone potty without anyone realizing it because it wicks away the mess preventing him from feeling it and they are scented so it is hard for the parents to tell. Many times I went to change him and the inner layer was stuck to his bottom because it had been dirty so long :(

  • Seventh Generation - Great for absorbancy and fit as long as it isn't too big of a mess!

2 comments:

  1. Here's how I handle the poop blowout: Towel on the changing table, baby on the towel, strip clothes and diaper, wipe as best you can, remove towel when baby is close to being clean, rewipe and diaper and reclothe.

    As far as diapers go, my experience is if your baby is going to have a poop blowout it doesn't matter what diapers they are wearing. I've seen the poop come out so fast it literally causes the elastic to leave the skin and poop shoot out (not to scare you). So I buy Luvs since they are cheap and protect just as well as pampers. I HATE huggies, even with Gretchen who had junk in her trunk they just never seemed to lay right (which I am so disappointed Wes has a flat but too! Must be a Gille gene, it's not cute at all. Steve was like guess we're not taking any pictures of his butt...hehe) and they were the most expensive which I didn't get. But I do LOVE pampers swaddlers, they are definitely the best for newborns and smaller infants, they are so soft and protect real well. To get around the in between diaper is too tall thing you just fold the front under right before taping it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on hating the huggies! I even hate their wipes :) I know some people really like them, but I just can not have them. I used to be a pampers swaddlers/cruiser line fan. Recently pampers came out with pampers max (it's the cruisers line REINVENTED)...they suck! Within a day of putting them on, a diaper rash emerges! Seriously! It's crazy, read about it online, I'm not the only one! So, I have backed down to the regular pampers (baby dry) and they are okay. I should try loves since nicole has sworn by them forever and my favs got "reinvented" for the worse! :)

    Love the poop story. You will learn that although you hate being dirty, in time, you will be blind to your own child's mess :) Changing someone else's diapers...still yucky, but your own child's....blissful! :) ha! I agree with Nicole's changing check-list...although I never got to the "get towel before walking to changing table" memo, so I usually just changed on the changing table then rolled the whole pad/cover up and tossed in wash after bathing baby etc.

    So fun to hear, Jamie! I have been curious about your diaper decision!
    Trisha

    ReplyDelete