Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Lesson in Self Discovery

I have always understood that as babies develop they begin to discover different parts of themself. In fact my parents often tell the story about my older sister discovering her hands and how she would stare at her fist or fingers for hours on end. You can imagine (and remember) my delight when Lucas discovered his feet..I posted about it and told all my friends about his new curiosity. It was during one of these boastful lunches that a dear friend of mine, Heather, said, "Just wait until he discovers something ELSE". I was shocked at this little preparatory note because I am from a family of girls and never would have thought about such a discovery. Well, I am here to tell you that Lucas has discovered yet another part of his body and it has turned diaper changing time into an olympic sport. I had mastered holding both legs but now I need to hold his hands too! And goodness gracious- his little hands are fast and unpredictable!

So this brings me to a topic of discussion of vernacular. I have been using Lucas's self discovery as teachable moments - telling him names and making up songs to describe function so he can learn about the human body (you found your feet! You use your feet to stand, walk, and run!). But when it comes to his boy parts I find myself at a loss...on the one side I immediately think to rename them a more baby-appropriate term (like peepee) while on the other side I think it is important he learn the proper term. In fact, some of the baby education classes at the hospital stressed the importance of teaching children the proper terms for private parts for the extreme reason that if they were ever abused their "story" would be heard loud, clear, and accurately. To avoid function conversation I was saying "every little boy has one" but now I realize this will lead to a conversation about what little girls have - possibly too soon for comfort. And why am I so squeamish about this?!?!?! I was pre-med and took classes in human sexuality in college but now this 16 lb 7 oz munchkin has left me speechless! What is a mom to do?!

In case you haven't figured out what I am talking about...check out these pictures of Lucas playing with his balls (which by the way - are fabulous toys that encourage creeping/crawling and fine motor skills).






1 comment: