Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Crochet Baby Blanket

I finally finished the crochet baby blanket I started for Lucas when I was about 8 months pregnant... I know he is almost 6 months and it took WAY longer than it should but I took a few months off there in the middle. It is a simple shell pattern with three colors using size 3 thread. I am still learning the craft of crocheting so the blanket is smaller than it is supposed to be :/ I need to figure out the whole gauge thing that they talk about...apparently you can adjust the hook size, thread, or your stitching to make sure you have the right gauge. It took me so long to pick the colors for the blanket that I wasn't about to go and find different thread. Plus baby thread - which is softer - is always a smaller weight. I guess I could just use thicker thread that isn't for a baby but then his blanket wouldn't be soft, right? And I don't have the best hand control yet so adjusting the stitch size was not an option. I needed to use a different hook...larger or smaller, I don't know. Despite its flaws...the blanket is done and it made Lucas smile. So, I think it is a winner :)

2 comments:

  1. Love the colors! It looks very cute, nice job. Yeah, as a beginner it works well to try projects that use thick yarn and large needles, things go so fast and you get that accomplishment satisfaction faster which makes you want to do more (the hat you made a while back was a great choice). That's pretty much why I only sew kids clothes and knit kids sweaters. Less time for me to get ADHD. Though as you get things down pat you'll find you can do it without thinking about it and then when you are winding down at night vegging in front of the TV you hands will just be going without you even thinking about it. Then those larger projects are perfect.

    ReplyDelete