Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, March 28, 2011

Carrots

Last week Lucas was introduced to carrots and I tried my hand at making them...it took a few rounds of experimenting with different cooking and pureeing technologies. I first tried to steam the carrots in my Pampered Chef micro steamer and then pureeing in my food chopper. This turned out a gritty version of carrots that Lucas refused to eat. He literally held his mouth open with the food on his tongue and lower lip grimacing until I wiped them out. Next I tried boiling the carrots and pureeing them in the blender. This turned out a much more Lucas-palatable velvety carrot blend. But then I was concerned about how boiling can lose more nutrients than steaming so I tried steaming a butternut squash and then tried to puree it in both the chopper and blender (I ran out of carrots). The blender worked way better again. Who knew my blender made such fabulous baby food? I mean, I knew it did a great job making margaritas and pina coladas...
Gritty carrots from the chopper


Velvety carrots from the blender


My handsome men


Lucas being silly with a sock in his mouth

1 comment:

  1. Good job getting your carrots to turn out velvety! Mine always ended up sort of grainy/gritty.

    ReplyDelete